Creativity is Contagious

Creativity is Contagious

Wednesday, November 30, 2016



 
Save Yourself Some $ on Special Occasions!

     Hi all! It's been awhile since my last post...today I want to talk about cheap cakes that look as amazing as store-bought cakes. I created this cake with Yellow Duncan Hines Cake Mix and Chocolate Frosting by Betty Crocker. The cake is a 9x13in, single layer, so the perfect size for a small family get together. I applied the chocolate frosting with a knife. A helpful hack is to wet the knife after every application. This helps create one smooth layer of frosting across the cake and decreases the amount of imperfections visible. 

     I'd also like to point out that this was my very first time piping flowers on a cake. I learned the best way to pipe roses from a video by Global Sugar Art on YouTube. (Link to video is on the bottom of this post.) It is easier to pipe flowers with a Buttercream frosting, but as this cake shows, it is do-able with store-bought frosting as well. After I piped the rose onto a wax paper square with my Wilton Tip #104, I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden it up. By doing this, I was able to peel the rose off of the wax paper and just place it on the cake with my hands. I proceeded to create leaves on the side of the rose with tip #352. I completed the writing on the cake with tip #2 as well as the rosebuds. The shell border on the sides of the cake was created with tip # 105. All colors of frosting were created with the Wilton Color Right kit. This cake shows how a gorgeous birthday cake can be created very inexpensively. I paid a total of $5.60 for the ingredients I used in this cake. Of course a cake like this takes a lot of time, but it will save you money in the long run!

Link to Piping a Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment